Thursday, October 16, 2008

Bird Rock Beach and Rocky's Bar

After seeing the sand mess at Timothy we decided to go to Bird Rock Beach Hotel and Rocky's Bar where I helped with snorkel tours all last winter and into the summer. I did not expect the site I saw when we got there. I was and still am in awe at the power of mother nature's wrath!
They pulled the boat out of the water to work on it a few days ago. They couldn't get it to the port yesterday so just had to make the best of it.
There is virtually no road left to get down to the beach area anymore.
Sometime in the night, they heard the boat being thrown around and came and tied it to the building. This will be it's home until they can get the lagoon it is usually in cleaned back up.
The rocks on the far right used to be a parking lot.
Standing behind what used to be the bar at Rocky's. Everything was demolished!

Used to be if you stood where Chad is now, you would have been behind the bar. Where the bartender works.
This concret slab is where a covered eating area used to be on the waters edge. It was about 5 feet off the water.
This is looking at the floor and shower area of the snorkel shop. Look closely on the right you will see the lock for the doors. They are still locked. :)
The whole bar is just obliterated! Larkin the owner says he will rebuild but just a small structure nothing fancy this time.

Chad is standing on top of the snorkeling shop. All the gear was still stored inside, but not anymore. The fish are wearing it and playing pool!
The lagoon area that was nice and calm for beginning snorkelers.
Some final shots of the bar area. I still can't believe it's destroyed like that!
Video of the bar area being pummelled by the waves!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like Rockies took the worst hit.. Was there any damage to the dive boat? Dad

Unknown said...

Is this where we went to pickup the snorkel equipment? I can't believe how much damage it got. What about the area where you took us to snorkel? Have you made it out there yet?